A Unilinguist: As if I don't talk enough in real life..

Friday, May 20, 2005

The Self-Indulgent Spare Human Speaks

*msn: I am the Professional Pony Painter from the Pony People Party. (Vote for us NOW!)

Every now and then I stop and wonder: am I really necessary?

Sometimes I feel expendable.

You know the feeling? Like, there’s nothing I do particularly well, or that someone else couldn’t do better and in less time.

Sometimes I feel that nothing sets me apart from the general population. (Of which Boyfriend is NOT representative..haha..inside joke..)

A few weeks ago I was talking to a friend of mine (who knows my sister as well) about how artistic my brother was. (He made an ambigram! – good. Not for me! – bad.) Anyway:

Friend: Wow, your brother is so artistic!

Me: Yeah, he is!

Friend: Okay, so, don’t take this the wrong way, but, your brother is artistic.

Me: (stares at MSN window, wondering where this is going)

Friend: And your sister is good at public speaking, writing, etc.

Me: (still wondering)

Friend: *pause*…so what do YOU do?

To give him credit (and the benefit of anonymity) he really was asking out of pure curiosity and not to be sarcastic.

But I think it says something, doesn’t it, when people have to ask you what you’re good at? Obviously whatever it is cannot be very good or else it would either have been

a) self-evident; or

b) mentioned by someone else already, hence reducing the need for shameless self-promotion.

Perhaps even sadder is that I couldn’t come up with anything to say.

Maybe this explains my numerous half-baked attempts to involve myself in things.

Cases in point:

a) Oil painting – I’ve only been to 5 classes so far but already I cringe whenever I have to put up my half-finished painting on the easel. Doesn’t help that the girl next to me is probably one of the best artists I’ve ever seen. (Talk about demoralizing…and she’s pretty, too.)

b) Yoga – Yes, I was going to be the most flexible person ever. I figured I’d have an advantage, given my small size and short legs (less distance to stretch to touch my toes!). Of course, I forgot my stiff muscles and short arms. And it got expensive.

c) Pilates – I was going to be the next Jennifer Aniston lookalike. (At this I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.)

d) Hip Hop (dance) – (sometimes it is best to say nothing and let the imagination flow freely.)

e) Blogging – I like writing, so it’s good. But the idea that people read what I write is still somewhat unnerving at times. Maybe that explains my reluctance to really publicize it. I dread the day that someone tells me that I suck at this. Too.

Maybe it’s time I stopped giving up on things, yeah? And on myself.

*smiles a little at herself, and hopes to someday make it a big and confident grin*

I am not fishing for compliments yeah. *stares sternly*

By the way, re: the msn nick, thanks to a link I found on Joyce’s page, my sister and I have become hooked on colouring ponies. Ha ha ha.

My Little Pony!!

Enjoy!

9 Comments:

  • Haha Vee Ann, that conversation looks so familiar... :p I wonder who this particular friend of yours is. :p Anyway, you declined to send me a copy of your own stories while I had your sister's one with me. Besides, I think you're an alright author too, using your blog as a justification.

    By Blogger Kev-The-Old-Man Leng, at 20 May, 2005  

  • so, what do you do, ann? im not horribly close to you, but i think you write SUPERBLY and definitely not boringly, have a magnetism about your personality, and oh yah are pretty 'healthy' too.. heheh .. cluck cluck..

    By Blogger Me, at 20 May, 2005  

  • Don't be silly Shanz, I am not healthy. :oP In fact, I think they're shrinking, sadly.

    By Blogger me me me, at 20 May, 2005  

  • if they're shrinking its cos you havent been eating! * dont be another cassey* well count your lucky stars you're 'healthier' than ....me! =)

    By Blogger Me, at 21 May, 2005  

  • OH NO!! This is our "healthy" phrase you're talking about rite?!?! OH NOES! (covers ears and hides in a corner*

    By Blogger Kev-The-Old-Man Leng, at 21 May, 2005  

  • Shan, I eat much too much as it is..(just the other day a waitress asked me if I really intended to order that much..and I finished it all...and then had dessert) it's just that it's all going to the lower half of my body. I feel like those things you punch..you know, which is weighted down below, so that no matter how hard you hit it, it never falls down?

    Ah well..stability is a plus I guess. *grr*

    (Kevin, guys talk about girls' health ALL THE TIME so you should be used to it. :oP)

    By Blogger me me me, at 21 May, 2005  

  • "alright" author? You're an AMAZING author. Stupid kevin, no wonder I'm gay. hahahahahaha =op

    I love your blogs,they're better than any other I've EVER read and I DON'T THINK YOU'RE EXPENDABLE AT ALL. I warn you, go on thinking like that, and it'll get contagious. Then you'll have to put up with Chong being insufferable. (or more so than he already is =op)

    You have been warned.

    *MUAKHZ*

    By Blogger Vee, at 21 May, 2005  

  • Haha ok ok I apologize... I sincerely do think you're a really nice writer... Your blog is just so addictive. You sure you didn't spike it or anything?? Maybe with a hint of Chivas or Baileys or what not? Ok ok...I gotta brush up on my talking-to-girls skill and try to convert you from a beautiful gay girl to a beautiful straight girl. ;)

    By Blogger Kev-The-Old-Man Leng, at 21 May, 2005  

  • Hahahahahaha, you're a 'nice writer'. Congrats, hahahahahaha! BTW I can't say much about your writing since I've never read anything from you. Except something about eyes I remember reading somehow. Send me something you wrote for me to read?

    By Blogger Gemynd, at 22 May, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home