A Unilinguist: As if I don't talk enough in real life..

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Oh Happy Day !! And much more !!

*msn: Good things come to those who wait..

As evident from the sudden appearance of completely irrelevant (not to mention self-serving) comments, Boyfriend has started to read the blog.

No, no, that sounds too peaceful. Actually what happened was this:

B: The whole thing is just complaining complaining complaining. I read two lines then gave up adi. Write about something else lah !!

Me: But it’s a blog. Blogs are for writing what I feel like writing. I’m writing because it makes me feel HAPPY (looking anything but).

B: But you could include TV reviews ! Talk about movies lah, or celebrity gossip, eh, and put more headings and subheadings lah..now your blog ah..just one long chunk..so hard to read ! (How how how how HOW does he get all his H1s ??? I’m sure when you study reading is involved !!!)

Me: But a blog is a WEBLOG. An online journal. You don’t go to your diary and say “Dear Diary, today Eddie Mcguire did this this that that..” right ? And I’m not some infotainment channel..

B: But you SHOULD have infotainment ! If not what are you writing for ??

You can imagine the rest lah. Boyfriend is a big fan of the useful and does not like the idea of wasted time and cyberspace.

So okay fine, in deference to Boyfriend, I give you…

*pam pa dush*

- channel 26 5/3 – your one stop blogging needs fulfilled !! -

First up, NO WHINING ! So had three hours of sleep last night ‘cos of FNV assignment..mm mm mm…ain’t that the greatest ?

Interesting link sent to me by my friend recently:

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/everyonesex.html

And the lyrics: (‘cos I couldn’t make out anything past a single line without them)

http://tumanov.com/entry/270

Newsflash:

The one and only news article I read today – Jennifer Lopez is going to legally change her name to Jennifer Anthony. Quoth my assignment mate:

AM: J-Lo..hmm..J-Ant ? *mulls over it and then shakes head sorrowfully* It’s just not the same leh…

Celebrity gossip:

See above.

TV reviews:

Given that I’ve been struggling with assignments the past week or so, the most recent show I’ve watched is last week’s episode of The Apprentice on tape. Halfway through the program:

Boyfriend: I think girls just can’t do business lah.

*poises to whack him with anything handy, preferably hard*

Boyfriend: (continues) They’re just too emotional.

*stops in the act of attempting to commit GBH*

Fume fume..

It was good though, as the Apprentice often is, though as I’ve read on another website somewhere, possibly www.jumptheshark.com, it’s kinda scary sometimes when you think..this is the best America has to offer.

Eh, not looking down on them okay, they’ve all achieved far more than I probably ever have..it’s just that..kinda expected super-perfect people who don’t do anything wrong. Then again, that probably wouldn’t make for good TV.

Movie reviews:

All the years of joining lucky draws have finally paid off: last Friday, in my uni e-mail, I received this:

Dear ********,
 
Thanks for entering the Student Union Cinema Competition. 
 
You have won a double pass to Napolean Dynamite
 
This film is showing Monday 11 April. Film starts at 6pm.
 
This pass is only valid for the session and film listed above.
 
To collect your tickets present your student card at the Box Office or 
Information Center located on the ground floor of Union House.
 
Thank you for your entry.
 
*****

Wah, was so happy, though the only reactions I got were:

Friend 1: Napo-what ??

Friend 2: Why can’t you be like other people and win a Crumpler bag or iPod or something ? Just like you to win passes to some weird-sounding movie. And only two some more.

And so it was I settled down to watch the movie with Boyfriend today with such encouraging good wishes ringing (Friend 2 has a rather loud voice) in my ear.

It wasn’t that bad lah. A little lame, and amateurish looking, but it was pretty good. I’m not too good with movie reviews; I find I have a thing for long-winded, talky talky, meaningful movies, peopled by ironic characters armed either with razor-sharp wit, piercing insights, or heartbreaking observations about the world.

One character stood out to me though – this guy in his late thirties who was apparently quite the football player in his youth, but somehow never got his opportunity. He constantly talks about his glory days, and videotapes himself throwing footballs endlessly, and his girlfriend leaves him because he refuses to let go of 1982.

Man. I can so see that happening to me. Not throwing footballs, obviously, since I cannot play sports (personal choice and by general consensus). But the constant obsession with the past, endless regrets, and finding that the only way I can look forward is by looking back and saying, “I had that. I did that. I could have been great. I could have been someone. So close..I was so close..”

A sudden chill has crossed over me.

Perhaps it’s time I got cracking at that tutorial work for tomorrow.

Good night, and fare thee all well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home